- Who can apply: Any person above the age of 18 years.
- Language requirement: We understand English and Afrikaans, pointing and hand gestures will be used where language barriers occur.
- Documents Required: Holiday Visa is required to enter South Africa and travel insurance for participating in this program.
Timing and duration:
The volunteer program runs all year round and kicks off every Tuesday. The volunteer program runs mainly for two weeks, but you can extend or shorten your stay through prior arrangement.
Buffelsdrift Game Lodge is located in South Africa, in the Western Cape, approximately 7 km North of Oudtshoorn in an area called the Klein Karoo. The farm is also located in 60-minute proximity to the Indian Ocean; part of the popular area referred to as the Garden Route and has the added benefit that it is a Malaria free area.
Which airport do I fly to? You can fly to George National Airport from Cape Town or from Johannesburg and then take the 60-minute scenic drive to Buffelsdrift Game Lodge making use of transport via car or bus provided by us on selected days.
Accommodation is provided in a large, newly built, tented camp with up to four people (same gender) sharing each tent. The rooms and tents are basic, but our single beds are comfortable with bedding provided (duvets and pillows). Showers and toilet facilities are en-suite and hot water is supplied by gas geysers. Power sockets for electrical items are available in each tent and in the communal area. Volunteers also have access to Wi-Fi in the tented camp. The three daily meals are prepared by a staff member, assisted by the volunteers.
What is included?
- Transfer from George on Tuesdays
- Transfer to George on departure day
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Support and assistance from program coordinator
- Foundation t-shirt
What’s not included?
- All flights
- Personal travel insurance
- Optional extra activities
- All free time activities
Qualities that we look for in our volunteers
- Enthusiasm! Being energetic and having a positive attitude can help to motivate yourself and others – fun is guaranteed if you come prepared.
- Flexibility and creativity
- Reliability and integrity
- Teamwork and willingness to serve
- Passion to live what you have learned and to spread the conservation story.